As we draw close to the end of the year, I’m thinking about how this is the perfect time to take a look in your closet and see what pieces are in there that need to stay and what pieces need to go after another year of sitting around on the hanger.
To help, I’ve put together a list of five things that you definitely need in your closet (though, of course, there are many other items that may make your own list of staples!).
1) Black pants: A well-tailored pair of black pants can’t be beat for their versatility. They pair nicely with everything from dress shirts to sweaters in a countless array of hues. This is a splurge item. Find a nice pair that are well-made and put in the effort to have them tailored if you need it for the best fit.
2) White shirt: As classic as those black pants and as versatile, you should have at least one white dress shirt that will pair easily with slacks, a skirt or a nice pair of jeans. A white shirt doesn’t have to be plain, though. Look for cute details, such as embroidering or cutouts, to make this a statement shirt.
3) Dress jacket: Go for a structured jacket with some unique style to take your look beyond the basic suit jacket. Look for a variety of materials, from velvet to leather, with details that let it become the stand-out accessory with whatever you’re wearing. Neutral colors are still a good choice for this jacket so that it can pair with multiple items in your closet.
4) Day dress: For something quick and simple that looks great each time, look no further than a simple shift dress that may be the easiest thing to throw on — no matching required.
5) Cocktail dress: For those dressier occasions, something in simple black (or navy, even!) gives you a dress that you can use as a base, adding accessories and jewelry to determine how dressed up or down you want to be.
I’m not going into accessories and shoes because that’s where you’ll bring in a lot of your personal style. Instead, these are a few fundamental staples that make a definite difference in your closet and that you’ll reach for time and again.
I’d love to hear about the must-haves in your own closet! Happy holidays to all of you!